February 13, 2019
Who's Your Lover?
Our modern-day version of Valentine’s Day is all about expressing love for those closest to us as well as maybe passing around a bit more of it in the world.
As you finalize tomorrow’s rituals and routines make certain that you don’t forget that very special person in your life who needs your love and attention more than anyone—Yourself.
It’s easy to share love with others but maybe not so much ourselves. Our negativity bias usually finds what is wrong with us first and drives our imperfections, sometimes in a frenzy, like a Formula 1 driver doing 200 mph down a straightaway. Let’s turn that around tomorrow and while your sharing affection and friendship with others, please include yourself.
Here are 5 quick and easy ways to show a little love to you:
- Take some extra time in the shower tomorrow: Allow yourself a few extra minutes to delight under that hot water.
- Say no to something that you do not want to do. Instead of gritting your teeth, just practice saying, “I think I’m going to take a pass on that.”
- Ask someone what they appreciate about you. It could be a family member or friend, maybe even a customer or colleague. Make sure you share back what you appreciate about them as well.
- Write a note to a friend with whom you know is in a jam. Just a quick acknowledgement of your thoughts to him or her actually helps you as much as them.
- Praise yourself, after all, there are lots of good things about you. Go ahead and acknowledge them.
We could probably use more Valentine Days during the year as we all could benefit from giving and getting love. It’s kind of like that holiday we celebrate in November around gratitude. Try being nice to yourself and you’ll be getting a little love and appreciation.
© Richard Citrin, All rights reserved, 2019]]>