While its wise to be cautious about an intense hurricane like Sandie, her story is making big waves across the country. Big waves can be scary but everyone loves to watch them and see how they change the landscape in ways that could never be predicted. And like the fear created by the big storm, making waves with our lives can be scary also. Too many of us do our best to not disturb the water but to make sure that we float along the surface enjoying the scenery and creating (maybe) a few ripples along the way. Well what can Sandy teach us about creating amazing waves that make a difference in the world. Here are a few ideas…
- What can I cause: Instead of making a “to do” list, think about what can you make happen this week. You can you challenge to do better; what change can you affect this week that will change someone else’s idea of excellence? You know Sandy will be causing a lot of new learning opportunities for lots of people!
- Pay attention to your direction: Last week, Sandy was going to be a harmless storm that drifted off to sea but then she had a change of heart and decided to make a left turn towards New Jersey and New York). What direction are you going in and will that direction change the world?
- Preparation is key for bigness: Sandy started as a tropical wave in the eastern Caribbean (maybe by a couple of butterflies flapping their wings) and then built into the powerhouse she is today. She took her time and when she was ready, off she went. Preparation can be a pain in the butt but is a surefire way to hit the big time
- Have a backup plan: The spaghetti map that the weather bureau provided a few days ago show the potential paths that Sandy could take on her journey to the US. What do your spaghetti plans look like. I always talk to me clients about options, options, options. The more you have the better chance for big success.
- Build Your Brand: “Frankenstorm”, “The Big One”, “The Storm of the Century” . Wow…who is doing her PR? Building and marketing your brand will help insure that your great ideas will get out and be embraced by everyone helping you to become the rock star that you are!.