July 18, 2011
Just Do It
<![CDATA[Nike knew they hit upon a great ad campaign when they saw their sales grow following the rollout of their "Just Do It" advertisements over 20 years ago. Faced with tough competition from Reebok and Adidas, the campaign perfectly hit the burgeoning fitness craze and emphasized the American edict of grit and determination. Sales grew and Nike became the preeminent athletic shoe company around the world. What I like about the slogan however is how it emphasizes resolve in getting things done. For many of us we know what it is we have to do…lose weight, write an article, call that customer you need to talk to, attend a lecture… but somehow we are not able to get it done. You might call it the classic battle between execution and resolution. We know what it is we have to do (execute) but we may not have the discipline to do it (resolve). How can we get better at getting things done. Try these out for size…
- Get yourself organized and set your priorities–Just take a few minutes to write down your intentions and then establish the priorities of what is most important
- Break them down into bite size pieces. A former principal use to say to me “inch by inch, its a cinch”. Most of the time we try to do too much at a time and wind up getting frustrated by the entire event.
- Make sure you are working towards your goal and not to just do the tasks. Outcomes is what you are looking to achieve.
- Be accountable–Make your goal public to another person and ask them to help you achieve your goals. This afternoon, I have an accountability meeting with a few colleagues so that we can discuss our progress on the improvement of our websites
- Reward yourself. Whatever it is that gives you enjoyment, build that into your day.